Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Vendange

The grape harvest has started (and finished). 
  7.5 Kilos of red wine grapes picked this afternoon from my allotment, with able assistance from my two granddaughters (aged 2 & 4). At one point one of them asked "why do you grow so many grapes?", closely followed by "If I pick many more grapes I'll get chicken pox". Not sure of the logic there but I'm very well pleased with this harvest; this is only their 2nd year in the ground so the best is, hopefully, yet to come. 
Now I need to work out what to do with them. Wine obviously, but not entirely sure how I get from the bucket of grapes to the bottle of wine!! Solve that problem tomorrow.  Chateau Wilbury, here we come!!

8 comments:

Sue Garrett said...

So I guess it's socks off time :)

Gordon Mason said...

I think it probably is Sue. Should be fun!!

danny said...

hi from the other side of Sheffield (Park Rifles allotment site on Sky Edge, Manor) -- just ahead of you in that last year was the first red wine vintage from our Sheffield grapes (Marachel Foch) - this year should have about 2 or 3 black buckets worth but won't harvest for a while yet. (chateau - Park Rifles or Manor Lodge, but definitely Estate bottled). Good luck with yours
Danny

Gordon Mason said...

Thanks Danny; it's been a good year for them!

Tanya. said...

The grapes look great. Mine haven't really 'plumped' out...and I'm not a lover of wine...so what to do with them???? Maybe home-made wine will be different. Let me know what you find out on the wine making front!!

Gordon Mason said...

Will do, Tanya. Fermentation is well under way.

Lost The Plot said...

I have nominated you for an award http://losttheplot235.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-versatile-blogger-awards.html

Gordon Mason said...

Thanks Lost-the-plot, and many apologies for being so slow to reply. I think as the allotment wound down I lost focus on the blog and let it go to sleep. But I'm picking up the reins again (yeah, just as the shortest day approaches!). As for the wine, it's bottled - about 2and a half litres - and is maturing quietly in the garage. Fingers crossed. Thanks too for the award nomination - I am flattered and will try to follow the principles you describe and to live up to it. Great idea. And I love the post about the shed and digging in the dark; that's how it feels at the moment!